gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] xupdf

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] xupdf
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:06:24 +0200

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:26:22PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 07:02:35PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> >>(currently, even the focused text is
> >>only barely readable-- it should look at least as good as in gv).
> >
> >Screenshot of what is really bad in your opinion?
>
> How do I make one? Is there a key binding for it? (Or an external
> program that can read what GL draws...)

E.g. gimp can do it.

We have all the code for screenshooting, but no binding. See
e.g. fillets -demo's "0" -key.

> >>- buoy placing (ESP: not outside the window!)
> >
> >I think that's actually working pretty well, with the new algorithm
> >(project to circle). It's very predictable.
> >
> Sometimes it works really well, yes, but at other times IMHO it does
> not. Here are the things I observed:
> - Sometimes (if it's shown 'below' or 'above') the buoy is placed
> outside the window. That doesn't make sense!

They are on a circle.

> - If an anchor is to the left, and the buoy is shown to the right
> (because it's a forward link), it looks strange. Probably it's better to
> ignore the direction when placing (except perhaps when the focus is very
> close to the anchor) and indicate direction by an arrowhead placed on
> the connection, if desired (not that important at this time IMO).

I've heard this from others, too. But I'm still very much convinced that
it's more important to retain

        "If I go right, I go back by going left"

than

        "Buoys should be really close to their anchors".

The problem is that with free placement, the buoys will easily go around,
resulting in a much harder-to-understand motion between nodes.

> >>- lighter papers, for better readability (maybe with bindings to change)
> >>

> >Have you set your gamma correctly:
> >
> >     xgamma -gamma 2
> >
> >helps.
> >

> No. How'm I supposed to guess? ;-)
>
> Seriously, though, yes, this *does* look much better-- except for the
> text quality, it's really good now, visually. Isn't there something we
> can do ourselves here, without requiring the users to resort to external
> programs? (Esp. for a demo that's not too nice...)

I'm thinking of a gamma correction screen at startup, or something.

Not sure yet.

        Tuomas