gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] New PEG: prefix_argument--benja

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] New PEG: prefix_argument--benja
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:30:38 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

E.g. if "GOTO" function takes prefix parameter, or other window's cell.

Now, if you're starting to mark cells for some operation, suddenly
doing 'goto' takes you to a different place from where you intended
to go.

Marks should only be prefix args if explicitly asked for.

Hmm. That's a pretty fundamental issue... I've understood Ted so that when there are marks, all operations should automatically operate on *them*; do you think I'm wrong there?

To some degree I agree, but there's also the problem that this can be a slowdown: additional keys to be pressed. For example, with connect, it seems natural to just mark, then hit 'connect <dir>', not another key in between. As for goto, when cycling through the cells, it doesn't seem nice to have to hit two keys each time we make a step.

I'm inclined to think that having to switch the mark set (so that the cells aren't the *currently* marked ones any more) before pressing 'g'/'-', for using the other window as a prefix, is better.

Can you suggest a key binding for indicating a 'marked cells' prefix argument, in your proposal?

- Benja