gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] New PEG: prefix_argument--benja

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] New PEG: prefix_argument--benja
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:31:55 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 08:30:38PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
I'm inclined to think that having to switch the mark set (so that the cells aren't the *currently* marked ones any more) before pressing 'g'/'-', for using the other window as a prefix, is better.

Ok, that could work if it's really easy to cycle to an empty mark set.

Then let's make it so. ;-) I think that makes sense anyway: you want to be able to easily mark some cells, then quickly mark some cells in another set; that also needs cycling to an empty set to be easy.

I think we should have a circular list of marks, *with an empty one always at the end*, so if you'd cycle to the empty set and mark a cell, a new empty set would appear *right after it* on the list. So unless you've been cycling backward to some older mark set, the new empty set is always a single step away.

As for key bindings, how about Ctrl-M to move forward and Alt-M to move backward through the mark ring?

Can you suggest a key binding for indicating a 'marked cells' prefix argument, in your proposal?

No, since we don't have all proposed key bindings in one place ;)

Maybe we should have pegboard.py generate a table of where a given key
has a suggested binding, from tables in PEGs like

Proposed bindings

        (in X mode) lblah blah

Sounds good, but I wouldn't want to program it right now :-)
- Benja