gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Raw pools?

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Raw pools?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:04:13 +0200

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:46:17PM +0100, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
>
> >>- Concept and rationale: Blocks to move easily between pools
> >>

> >Between pools??
> >

> Yes, so? (Whenever a block moves, it moves between pools? Except if a
> pool moves physically, such as moving a disk to a different place, which
> is not interesting to consider.)

Oh, my definition of pool was "all mediaserver repositories anywhere with
the same pool ID" -- more virtual.

So you mean moving between physical locations?

> >>Quite a suite. Would greatly help people trying to understand what we're
> >>up to, though.
> >>

> >How about starting with
> >
> >High-level
> >
> >1. Storm concept and rationale
> >     - eternal blocks, moving easily
> >

> Should also have the commitment PEG at the same time.

Well, that *could* also be later, as making this more exact.

> >2. Storm and crypto: signatures, identities
>
> What's this?

The overall intent on how Storm is supposed to work with crypto.

> >Implementation
> >
> >1. Storm block format
> >2. Storm pointers layer 1: no crypto, nothing except branching versioning
> >

> Should also have the pointer concept PEG then. Describing the formats
> without the rationale doesn't make much sense.

I didn't say formats here. This *would* be the concept. ;)

> Also, 'implementation' is a misnomer: 'Formats' would be better.

Well, then the above pointers thing shouldn't be here.

> >>Would making "these blocks are the same"-style links and signing them
> >>digitally not work?
> >
> >We don't have that yet.
> >
> >I want to be able to have it working *right now* so that someone can just
> >plug in a file they got from somewhere.
>
> Well, I won't convince you by reiterating my points, so it seems that we
> have to introduce the new format. But I still don't agree with your
> reasoning, since they *can* plug in the file if they got it from somewhere:
>
> java gzz.mediaserver.AddToMediaserver -c Z/ guess article.pdf
>
> What they cannot do is to write a program that automatically requests
> this from a library which takes the SHA-1 of the block's body. However,
> I don't know anybody who wants to do this *now*. So "we don't have that
> *yet*" does not make a difference. Heck, even if someone *wanted* to do
> it right now, we could make a mapping from the canonical blocks' ids to
> their bodies' hashes; then those files could be requested from the
> library (e.g., content distribution network) and inserted as canonical
> blocks.
>
> I do think that we will want to have the header/body separation, but:

Ok.

> >>With this, at the time this is in common use it's entirely possible that
> >>a new, more efficient way of doing this has been found, and we will
> >>*have* to support it-- which would mean *two* more formats to support by
> >>implementers, because the format introduced now would also have to be
> >>supported.
> >>

> Now, you replied to that by saying:
>
> >That's why I think we should probably get rid of canonical blocks *right
> >now*.
> >

> But how does this relate to what I write above? I wrote it as a reason
> for *not* moving to something new, so if you think it's a reason for the
> opposite, you *should* say why :-) :-).
>
> >They were probably a wrong solution.
> >

> The decision was based on exactly the points made here, and I obviously
> still think they're true. ;-)

Ok. Canonical blocks are bad, because

        1) they don't solve the problem of getting the unadulterated data's
SHA-1
           except through new features which just make things more complicated
           (everyone has to support those mappings etc!)

        2) they have a part of the normal header but not all; everyone needs to
support
           that as well.

I think they get us *more* complexity than the header-block separation would,
so it might be good to ditch them *now*.

        Tuomas