gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Raw pools?

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Raw pools?
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:46:17 +0100

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

- Concept and rationale: Blocks to move easily between pools

Between pools??

Yes, so? (Whenever a block moves, it moves between pools? Except if a pool moves physically, such as moving a disk to a different place, which is not interesting to consider.)

Quite a suite. Would greatly help people trying to understand what we're up to, though.

How about starting with

High-level

1. Storm concept and rationale
        - eternal blocks, moving easily

Should also have the commitment PEG at the same time.

2. Storm and crypto: signatures, identities

What's this?

3. Storm and Xanalogical media

Ok.

Implementation

1. Storm block format
2. Storm pointers layer 1: no crypto, nothing except branching versioning

Should also have the pointer concept PEG then. Describing the formats without the rationale doesn't make much sense.

Also, 'implementation' is a misnomer: 'Formats' would be better.

Would making "these blocks are the same"-style links and signing them digitally not work?

We don't have that yet.

I want to be able to have it working *right now* so that someone can just
plug in a file they got from somewhere.

Well, I won't convince you by reiterating my points, so it seems that we have to introduce the new format. But I still don't agree with your reasoning, since they *can* plug in the file if they got it from somewhere:

java gzz.mediaserver.AddToMediaserver -c Z/ guess article.pdf

What they cannot do is to write a program that automatically requests this from a library which takes the SHA-1 of the block's body. However, I don't know anybody who wants to do this *now*. So "we don't have that *yet*" does not make a difference. Heck, even if someone *wanted* to do it right now, we could make a mapping from the canonical blocks' ids to their bodies' hashes; then those files could be requested from the library (e.g., content distribution network) and inserted as canonical blocks.

I do think that we will want to have the header/body separation, but:

With this, at the time this is in common use it's entirely possible that a new, more efficient way of doing this has been found, and we will *have* to support it-- which would mean *two* more formats to support by implementers, because the format introduced now would also have to be supported.

Now, you replied to that by saying:

That's why I think we should probably get rid of canonical blocks *right now*.

But how does this relate to what I write above? I wrote it as a reason for *not* moving to something new, so if you think it's a reason for the opposite, you *should* say why :-) :-).

They were probably a wrong solution.

The decision was based on exactly the points made here, and I obviously still think they're true. ;-)

- Benja