gzz-dev

[Gzz] Mail to Storm

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: [Gzz] Mail to Storm
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:38:22 +0200 (EET)

Hi,
I'm interested in helping the mail reader project for Gzz. I hear you are
doing the interfacing from other systems to Gzz. One issue that came up
with Benja is how the messages can be entered to Storm when they arrive. I
don't know when the messages would be read to the structure however.

I'd suggest using a filter program that reads one message from standard
input and creates the Storm block for it. It can be called by procmail's
.procmailrc like this whenever a message arrives:
:0 # Call filter for any mail we receive
| mailToStorm

Procmail can be run also by fetchmail and other mail transports. The same
filter can be used to import a mailbox file like this:
<mbox_file formail -s mailToStorm

formail even has an option which makes it track seen message IDs and only
process new messages. This way, one could run formail always before using
Gzz Mail, and it would import any new messages. If we want to store
messages received multiple times, I think the ID tracking comes for free
with Storm IDs.

Tuukka

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden