gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Problems with Loom

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Problems with Loom
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:46:01 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Brent Turcotte wrote:

> I have downloaded many of the suggested RDF files and I am using version 0.1.
> I am using IBM's Java 1.3 on the Windows 98 platform.  All the RDF files

happened to read this during the only hour in a week when using a windows
machine (in a class), so am trying to reproduce. this is NT 4 i think:

---cut-from-command-prompt-
Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM)
(C) Copyright 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp.

Z:\>java -version
java version "1.4.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0-b92)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-b92, mixed mode)
---end---

the other/actual developers afaik never use windows, so they might not be
able to help with this soon i'm afraid .. except if your guess was correct
or some other bug/incompatibility is found (in the rdf format check?)?

> reproduce the same behavior -- Loom tries to load the file, but says shortly
> afterwards 'Sorry, there was a problem while loading file xxx'.  I suspect
> the problem may have something to do with the getting the files off the
> internet.  It reformats the files with the wrong type of carriage return.

on this machine, this did not occur. i downloaded
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/sw/swad-chart.rdf with the preinstalled msie
(actually first it opened in the browser, then i did save-as).

also otherwise Loom seems to run perfectly with this particular platform.

hm, strangely enough, the msie renamed the rdf to .xml .. i put the result
to http://an.org/fenfire/windows/swad-chart.rdf.xml

you might try that, but might not help

> Of course, I could be way off on that.  I regret not being able to give a
> full error report, since much of the info scrolls off the DOS screen.  The
> following is all I could capture:

i believe there must be ways of capturing the output, unfortunately am not
very knowledgeable with windows so don't know them .. if you have cygwin
installed or would like to install it you might have a more feature rich
terminal (with a backbuffer :) there -- the actual error message was
probably right in the beginning of the output (you might also try to be
very quick with ctrl-s or equivalent pause button if there is one?-o)

> Brent

thanks for the try and bug report, was also interesting for me to see Loom
(any gzz/fenfire product, actually) running on windows for the first time,
hopefully this is sorted out soon enough -- i must run&travel now (for wknd)

~Toni