h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Making database easier for visitors to search

From: Luis A.
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Making database easier for visitors to search
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:20:45 -0500

El mar, 01-10-2013 a las 20:03 +0100, Ciarán O'Riordan escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I sent a mail to the info@ address, but some people here might also have
> ideas for improving the site interface.
>
> I recently used the site for the first time and I think it could be much
> easier and faster.  I'm assuming that people come to h-node to check if a
> piece of hardware works with free software or not.

We have discussed the different approaches that h-node can have and to
take the best advantage of the db, you should already have the hardware
in question. Let's say a current GNU/Linux user moving to a fully free
distro as the FSF definition.

> They have a model number and they want to search: so there should be a big
> search box right there on the home page.

It could be a little problematic, since the main way to label the
devices is based on the pciid and usbid, alternative we can set the
comercial name device and model on the box, but it's not mandatory to
set it, because some times the manufactures won't specify the details on
the revisions of the hardware (on the commercial name) and that could
change it from "it works" to "it won't".

> The "category" drop down box should be noted as optional.  A lot of the
> time, it's not really necessary.
>
> For example, if I want info on the HP printer, model p1102, I should be able
> to type just "p1102" into the search box on the front page.  If there's a
> video card and a motherboard that also have that model number, then I'll see
> three results:
>
> * p1102 - printer - HP LaserJET - DOESNT WORK WITH FREE SOFTWARE
> * p1102 - video card - NVtech - Works with free software
> * p1102 - motherboard - BlaCOM - Works with free software

A while back i made the same suggestion, about the need to have a simple
and powerful search box to look all the hardware at the homepage, but as
it is stated on the main page, h-node is still a beta work, and there
are still other priorities, the Search page should cover

> So, starting at h-node.org, getting the crucial info (it works or it
> doesn't) should only require typing the model number and hitting return.
> Then if I want more details, I can click on the printer and see that
> device's page.
>
> So my three main suggestions are:
>
> 1. A search box on the home page
>
> 2. The search results page should say if the device works/not/partially
>
> 3. Top of device page should have a big red warning if it doesn't work:
>    "DOESNT WORK WITH FREE SOFTWARE - DO NOT BUY!"
>
> What do others think?  Any other suggestions for making it easier for
> visitors to find the info they want?

I think that it is a very good idea, we would appreciate more developers
help to complete the current priorities and start working on the next
features.

We may elaborate a brainstorming page on a h-node wiki page, so it can
be included on the TODO list.

Cheers!
--
Luis A. Guzmán García