h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] <description> string format

From: Laura Morales
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] <description> string format
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:13:45 +0200

> It works fine as rendered by the browser,

Yeah, I guess it works fine because it's parsed and rendered by MediaWiki.

> but on the text side is kind of messy since everything falls under the same
> text box. Which i
believe is what you are referring.

Yes I think we mean the same thing. I'd like to extract the text and render it
somewhere else. But there are all these mediawiki-specific formatting tags that
I'm not sure how to parse.

Would it be possible to add an additional field to the XML exports? <wikitext>
would contain the raw wikitext from mediawiki, then maybe <markdowntext> would
contain the same text in Markdown, and perhaps <htmltext> the same text as
formatted in HTML. This should be fairly easy to add, but I'm not sure if you
can extract the wikitext in other formats directly from mediawiki, or if it
requires an additional library to convert wikitext->markdown. Any idea?