h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] [h5md-commit] subsystems with varying number of particle

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] [h5md-commit] subsystems with varying number of particles
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:40:15 +0100

Hi Felix,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:26:15AM +0100, Felix Höfling wrote:
> In commit a3ee98a, the fill value of the particle ID has been given a
> meaning which I find very useful.
>
> Just one question: what if there is no fill value defined? Does
> H5Pget_fill_value() return the default value? I think it is 0 for Integer
> types, which would conflict with regular particle IDs starting at 0.

Thanks for pointing this out. The HDF5 library stores in the metadata
of the dataset whether the fill value is the library’s default value
(0), or a user-defined value. I clarified in commit 1a980b9 that a
particle identifier is considered a placeholder only if it is equal
to a user-defined fill value.

For an example of querying the fill value and whether it is default
or user-defined, see the file test/dataset.lua of HDF5 for Lua [1].

[1] http://git.colberg.org/lua-hdf5

Regards,
Peter