health-dev

Re: [Health-dev] ICD10PCS - add to products

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] ICD10PCS - add to products
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:32:07 -0300

Hi Chris !
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 16:34:26 -0700
Chris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, the icd10pcs module does not create
> products (in the products model) for invoicing. I'm wondering if it
> should? On a clean install, it seems I have to manually enter the
> product for the invoice. Instead, create a Procedures category, and
> add all the procedures to the products for easy invoicing/billing.
> Easy changes to data files (although, they are huge already!).
>
> Thoughts? Hehe, hopefully not missing the obvious and the
> functionality already exists. =-)
>
> Regards,

The health_service module is the guy that mediates between the actual
services and what to invoice or not.

The thing is that health_services is generic, meaning that it does not
match a specific procedure / coding with its related product / service
on the product model.

We've been thinking on the best way to actually make the procedures
appear on the service model upon completion. For instance, Dx imaging,
lab, surgeries, procedures, evaluations / encounters, meds, ...

As you can see, there is not a fixed way to approach this. One thing
that I thought was to introduce the "serviceable" attribute on the
models, so from there, we can select the related product, but also
linking it to the ID and description of the service itself.

We have to come to a balance between functionality and concreteness .
Your example is a very good one. We should not associate each medical
procedure to a product. The ICD10PCS has over 72000 procedures, and
the ICPM over 800. Similar things would happen in the labs, imaging,
etc...

I think that grouping in terms of evaluations / encounters, surgeries
(and not the procedures within it), etc .. and having a link from the
services model, we could drill down and see the details.

This is a hot topic in GNU Health and we need to address it in this 3.0.

Best,
Luis