heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] question RE "making it live"

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] question RE "making it live"
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:22:23 -0500

Josh and Joshua and whoever else is out there....

Months and months ago, Josh had the idea of having the KM model
actually be working and people could go there an test it out.

Okay, fine, great idea.  Let's do it.  I have been discussing with
Joshua that this is where we should focus all of our effort in the
immediate term.

Now, here is a question...When we go live, how should we show what the
model does?  Let me explain: Technically this is what the model does.
It is "generative".  It's goal is to be able to generate a set of ways
of appraising a situation.  Thus for any given scenario cue, it
generates multiple ways of viewing it.

Let me give you an example.

Suppose we have this scenario cue...

Tracy wants an apple.
Mummy gives tracy banana.
How does tracy feel?

...we wish the KM model to generate some of the myriad of *believable*
ways that someone might chose to view this situation...For example we
might want it to generate these distinct appraisals:

Appraisal 1:
Tracy feels sad because she did not get what she wanted.

Appraisal 2:
Tracy feels happy because what she really wanted was food.

Appraisal 3:
Tracy feels happy because what she really wanted was fruit

Appraisal 4:
Tracy feels indifferent because what she really wanted was fruit.

Appraisal 5:
Tracy feels happy because she got attention from mommy.

Appraisal 6: Tracy feels happy because although she did not get what
she wanted, she did at least get attention from mommy and what she
really wanted was just food.

Appraisal 7: Tracy feels happy because she might have not gotten
anything.

Question: how should we present this to user?  Should we (a) show user
one (if so, selected how?) (b) show user all?

Of course, in validation mode (i.e. when we seek believability
judgements on a rating scale from 1 to 5) it should just show one.

Hrm.  Now that I think of it, I think I have answered my own
question!!!  We should have two presentation modes.  One mode is "show
user all."  Users who select this mode are more or less power users.
The other mode is show user just one.  Which mode is user in?  Well it
depends where user is in website.  If user is in power user region,
then they get "all".  If user is in "survey" region of website, then
they get one.  In some regions of website user gets to choose whther
they see all or just one.