heartlogic-dev

RE: [Heartlogic-dev] new idea (fwd)

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] new idea (fwd)
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 21:56:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Josh White wrote:

I don't think you'll get much participation unless you tell
the user the
computer's best guess AFTER they click the answer.   The
point is the user
can see how their answer improved the computer.

this feedback there is a slight risk that a person would
start to think like Cyc rather than a naive and natural
human

True...  But I think that's the price we'll have to pay for getting free
participants.

Fer shur dude!

It would be cleaner to pay participants a token amount of
money to participate - I think that will greatly improve the quality because
people feel like they're working, not like they're entertaining themselves.

Interesting. Well, I'm open to the idea of paying subjects but have limited funds. I suggest we keep pushing forward, try to get some mock ups, see what kinds of results we can get for free and then start paying as we need to, once the design is production level/good science.

www.hotornot.com has the same problem. Try it out with a friend standing
over your shoulder - you'll see what I mean.  You can feel yourself start to
sway your own ratings, or even lie outright.  I've seen three different
people using it, and they all did not tell the comlete truth.   Still,
overall, the scores are pretty accurate.  You do find extremely ugly people
getting a higher score than you'd expect - that's about the only bias that
shows up, that I've noticed.

Interesting.

distracting...The real problem will be keeping people's
motivation and excitment up.)..

Well said.  For that reason, I suggest:

- add a personality to the AI - name, sex, etc.  I think HAL is perfect,
but whatever.

HAL sounds excellent to me.  I wonder if there is some sort of legal
issue associated with using that name?  I doubt it's trademarked.  So
lets just keep going and ask the next attorney friend we happen to
bump into.  Then again, if/when we get research cyc in the loop Cycorp
may require us to change the name from HAL to Cyc.  Whatever.

-  keep the answer and the next question on the same page, same as hotornot

Yep.

- put the scientific explanations one link deep, from that page

Great idea.

Example page:
---------------------------
You said HAL was wrong to say "Vienna is wet."

HAL 1000 thinks Vienna is wet because
(1) "Rivers are a kind of water."
(2) "If water touches x then x is wet."
(3) "The Danube is a river."
(4) "The Danube runs through Vienna."
(5) "If a river runs through a region it touches that region."
                        (Click [here] for the science behind this project.)

5 other users agreed with you, and1 other user did not.  So far, you humans
are convincing HAL he is wrong.

Hal also believes Paris is in France. Is that right?

[true]
[false]

Excellent suggestions Josh.  I think this will look really cool and be
fun!

And I had a five point rating scale - highly unbelievable,
unbelievable, neutral, believable, highly believable.  But, I think we
should keep it simple so, yes it should be true/false for now.  We can
experiment with finer gradations later.

Note that many of the things they will be rating will be simple "gafs"
i.e. ground atomic formulae, such as "The Danube is a river." and
these things do not have a complicated justification.  So, instead of

Example page:
---------------------------
You said HAL was wrong to say "Vienna is wet."

HAL 1000 thinks Vienna is wet because..blah blah blah

...it will be ...

Example page:
---------------------------
You said HAL was right to say "The Danube is a river."

HAL 1000 thinks the Danube is a river because it was directly added to
HAL's brain by one of HAL's human brain builders.

...Also, note that many (half?) of the items they will be rating will
be reversed.  E.g. "It is not the case that the Danube is a river."
or if NL generation is working very well, "The Danube is not a river."
(but don't count on that better English lingo keep your expectations
low)...In this case, we will have to change the wording a little.
Somethign like this...

Example page:
---------------------------
You said HAL was wrong to say "The Danube is not a river."

Actually, HAL 1000 thinks "the Danube is a river" but for technical
reasons [click here from explanation about the science behind this
project] having to do with how our experiment is conducted we have
purposefully mangled some of the things you are rating.

HAL 1000 thinks the Danube is a river because it was directly added to
HAL's brain by one of HAL's human brain builders.

Anyway, HAL 1000 thinks the Danube is a river because it was directly
added to HAL's brain by one of HAL's human brain builders.

..oye vay!!! that is a lot of text....We can boil this down.  But,
what are your thoughts Joshua? can you get some mock ups of this
working?

Bill

----------------------------

-Josh

But OTHER items will be intentially reversed.  We would
predict that humans would rate these as less believable than
unreversed items.

This is what I did in my dissertation.  In study 2 half of
the items were unreversed and the other half were reversed.
In study 3, a third of the items were unreversed, another
third were "slight" reversed, and another third were
"strongly" reversed.

There are two reasons we want to do this reversal stuff.  One reason
is to catch liars or vandals.

The OTHER reason is to allow us to compare the mean
believability of different groups of items.  E.g....

unversed items vs reversed items
human generated items vs machine generated items
deductions vs ground facts

...this is all part of the computational ablation paradigm
and it figured big time in my dissertation.  It is an example
of what I mean by good and rigorous methodology.

[Now, it occurs to me that there is a THIRD more minor,
user-interfacey sorta reason to do this...That is that we want quick
*coarse* judgements about whethher a commonsense assertion is
a good one or not.  One way to obtain such coarseness is to
throw in a fair number of ridiculous assertions.]

Well, I should enlist some other AI gurus opinions on this
before I spout off too loudly about good and rigorous
methodology.  Speaking of AI gurus, Peter, are you on this list yet?

So Josh and Joshua does this make sense conceptually, designwise?

Joshua, can you implement this.  Note: Just getting the
believability ratings up there is step one.  Implementning
the Feedback to User is step two.

Bill

-Josh