heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: internal representation of scores

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: internal representation of scores
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:07:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 21:44 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
Part of the problem is that I have omitted keys and legends on various
screens.  That's my fault.

So, well I see on the rumination items you have stuff like...

We have collected 7 ratings so far (including yours).
The average believability rating is 4.14 on a scale of 1 (highly
unbelievable) to 5 (highly believable).

...so the "legend and keys" stuff is at least sorta okay there.

Shoot, I tried to get to some of your story things to see how the
legned is there.  However, I had done a lot of items already and and it
would just say "You are done."  For testing purposes, can we have
something that allows us to repeat?  (I tried loging out and login in
again and then hit the "rate it" button as per a prior email but
it just said, "You are done. Please try again later.").

OK, I added a button for that on the front page.  Even so, you should be
able to repeat the ratings again if you log out.

Awesome.

Okaqy I tried to test this...

I went to the website and noticed two new problems...

Problem 1:

First I was to rate the goals with the first story....

Jack believes that Jill wants something about a pale of water for herself.

Jack believes that Jill wants to avoid something about a pale of
water for herself.

Jack believes that Jill feels indifferent about a pale of water
for herself.

...and then it asked mme about the very same goals.  In other words it
repeated the same triad of items.  It should not do this.

Problem 2:

After I got the above repetition I kept filling out items.  It then
told me I was done.  I logged out.  I logged in again.  It told me I
was done.  (Duh, I should have recalled what you said, i.e. "I added a
button for that on the front page."). I logged out, I looged in again.
I hit the "reset ratings" button.  It then let me fill out two story
items but then told I was done.  It should not do this - it should let
me do *all* the items, including the rumintation items.

So, instead hit thhe browser back button a buncha times.  I noticed that
the there is no legend on the joshau story pages.  So is a key to the
numbers in thhe table, I assume this is something you are intending to
add?

Hrm, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.  I looked at
the goal results screen again and tweak it a little bit.  Hopefully it
is more clear now.

Well, you deleted the context that caused me to say "So, instead hit
the browser back.."  etc, etc.  I really wish you would err on the
side of too much inclusion rather than too little.  My experience is
that you (and many others) err on the side of too much deletion.
Should I keep trying to convince you to include more of the
conversational context?

Anyway I think the postition of the key and the blue areas could be
improved.  For example, here is what I would recommend.  Don't just
say R, spell it out as "Your Rating"..E.g. instead of this...

Your rating compared with the mean
R N M
Jack believes that Jill wants something about a pale of water for herself. Jack believes that Jill wants to avoid something about a pale of water for herself.
Jack believes that Jill feels indifferent about a pale of water for herself.

do it like this...

                                                Your    Number          Mean
                                                Rating  Collected       Rating
                                                        So Far
                                                        (yours
                                                        indcluded)
Jack believes that Jill wantssomething about a pale of water for herself.

Jack believes that Jill
wants to avoid something about a pale of water for herself.

Jack believes that Jill
feels indifferent about a pale of water
for herself.

Bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)