heartlogic-dev

Re: [Heartlogic-dev] participant pacing

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] participant pacing
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:06:58 +0530

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:14:08AM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> >The goal-pair study will accumulate more questions than I can reasonably
> >expect a participant to answer in one sitting.  I have an idea for
> >getting more ratings per participant.
> >
> >I'll ask for 30 minutes worth of ratings and then say, "You're done."
>
> Okay.  But, I would recommend you do more "debriefing" than just
> "you're done."  See the wiki page called "Research" or somesuch which
> is a child page of HowToIntakeAndBrief.

OK, I have to write something similar for the goal-pair study.

> >After one week, I'll send an email saying, "There are more items to
> >rate.  Please visit http://...";  I'll do this every week until I run out
> >of items or the participant doesn't respond to the email.
> >
> >Bill, would this be useful for your study too?  Or is it worse to
> >introduce another confound?
>
> Interesting idea.
>
> I am not research wise enough to know whether it will introduce another
> confound.  But, my intuition says it should be okay.

I have implemented this for both of our studies.

> What I am more concerned about is pissing off our participants.  Sure,
> I know it takes approximately 0.5 seconds to delete a piece of email I am
> not interested in and I don't mind so much getting unwanted mail (luckily
> the spam filters here at work are really good).  But I think lotsa people
> would get really pissed off if they got unsolicited email from a
> study-bot.

The email ends with:  "If you are not interested then simply ignore this
email.  You will not receive another reminder."

> Subjects be able to quit at any time.
>
> If they finish or do enough (e.g. 30 minutes) OR if they press the "I'm
> tired and need to quit button." then they will be presented with a
> debriefing page.  One of the things the debriefing page will say is,
> "We would like to present you will more items.  Is it okay if we email
> you once per week, with a little polite reminder to do some more items.
> You will be able to unsubscribe from this reminder at any time (the email
> will tell you how to do this.)
>
> [button: yes, it's okay to email me from time to time]
> [botton: no, it's not okay to email me from time to time]
>
> ...if they click neither or no then do not pester them.  If they click
> yes, pester them via email reminders and include an unsubscribe url thing
> in those nagging email messages.

We could do that but what I have now is everybody is sent an email.
To unsubscribed, the participant simple does not login to OHL.