help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: Pbm AM_CXXFLAGS & Seg-Fault on alpha

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: Pbm AM_CXXFLAGS & Seg-Fault on alpha
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:24:22 +0200

Hi Glen,

> ---
> I grabbed the latest source CVS, 1:30 pm CSDT.
>
> ***
> Upon doing the:
>     aclocal && autoconf && autoheader && automake
> --add-missing --copy
>
> step.
>
> This resulted:
>
> /usr/share/aclocal/avifile.m4:21: warning: underquoted
> definition of AM_PATH_AVIFILE
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see
> http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
> /opt/gnome/share/aclocal/gst-element-check-0.6.m4:7:
> warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_GST_ELEMENT_CHECK

I don't define these variables and I don't know where they're defined.  I
think you should write to address@hidden'.

> configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
> configure.ac: installing `./missing'
> CWEB/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
> CWEB/Makefile.am:133: `CXXFLAGS' is a user variable,
> you should not override it;CWEB/Makefile.am:133: use
> `AM_CXXFLAGS' instead.
> Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found

`touch ChangeLog' will fix this problem.

> CWEB/Makefile.am:133: `CXXFLAGS' is a user variable,
> you should not override it;CWEB/Makefile.am:133: use
> `AM_CXXFLAGS' instead.
>
> ---
> Problem with CXX_FLAGS (of 3dldf) versus AutoMake
> wanting
> AM_CXXFLAGS. [[Or is it AutoConf?]]

I did this on purpose.  `CXXFLAGS' is `-g -O2' and I wanted to get rid of
`-O2' so the files would compile faster.  If I get a chance, I'll try to find
out if there's a better way to do this.  Or if you find out, please let me
know.

> ** It still would compile, afterwards.
>
> I noticed it compiled much faster. Only a couple
> minutes,
> versus the 15 before?

I also got rid of `-O2' in the call to g++ for parser.c++.

> ??? It was this a not-so good sign, too?
>

> ***
> It all builds.

Good.

> However, trying:
>
> ---
>   address@hidden:~/3dproject/tst-Aug24/run/CWEB> vim abc.ldf
>   address@hidden:~/3dproject/tst-Aug24/run/CWEB> ./3dldf <abc.ldf
> vector_size == 0
> Segmentation fault
>   address@hidden:~/3dproject/tst-Aug24/run/CWEB> ./3dldf <mmm.ldf
> vector_size == 0
> Segmentation fault
>   address@hidden:~/3dproject/tst-Aug24/run/CWEB> ./3dldf
> <sample.ldf
> vector_size == 0
> Segmentation fault
>
> I suppose this is the null pointer. You recommended
> (for me
> to) trace down? (I won't be able to dig too deeply
> into
> 3DLDF, till the weekend.)

No, it's because you're trying to make 3dldf read its input from stdin instead
of a file.  This doesn't work.  Try calling `3dldf' the way I said in a recent
mail.

%% Local Variables:
%% mode:auto-fill
%% fill-column:59