help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] Re: all intersections between two paths *

From: Martijn van Manen
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] Re: all intersections between two paths *
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:23:08 -0500

I think those Bezier curves are of degree 3, aren't they?
Bezout's theorem tells you that as long as you're in
PC^2 the number of intersections of two of them is
3 times 3 =9, multiplicity counted. SO when they're simply
tangent, that counts as two.
Now you're neither counting complex intersection points, nor
checking what happens at infinity. The maximum remains 9.
Numerical problems are ill-posed in this situation.
To find intersection points you have to take the implicit
equation for the one F(x,y)=0 and the parameterization for
the other (g1(t),g2(t))
You end up with a polynomial of degree 9, as predicted by
Bezout. The zeroes of those can only be determined numerically
generally speaking, that is, you can only approximate.
But there are many friendly looking polynomials with the
following satanic property.  Add some
tiny number to the coefficients and the zeroes change
completely.
Happy new year all of you. I've begun working on the