Re: Building a parse tree...

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Building a parse tree...
Date: 20 May 2002 11:07:32 +0200

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Fernandez <address@hidden> writes:

Steve>         BTW, I don't know if this is the right place to say
Steve> this, but I'm in the process of building a C compiler for
Steve> myself.....a Herculerian task, no doubt,

Indeed.  That's probably not the most interesting academic exercise,
but...

Be sure to look for existing C grammars, as C is not so easy to
express in LALR.

Steve> but I'm halfway through the lexical analyser part, and it is
Steve> faster than the lex generated by lex.........

This is a well known result.  Many free software compilers do not use
Lex.  Look for Gperf, this is the traditional means to distinguish
keywords from ids in hand written scanners.  It's fast.