Re: implementing NDR parsing method into bison

From: Sylvain SCHMITZ
Subject: Re: implementing NDR parsing method into bison
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:25:34 +0100

jonhattan wrote:
hi all,
After I finish my project we want to continue maintaining the code and
perhaps(surely) include DR method that was left aside of main bison in
the previous project. "We" is the compilers department of the ULPGC to
which J.Fortes and Miguel Angel Perez Aguiar (my tutors) belongs and me.
You can already count on me for any help on the writing of the code itself and its maintainance later.

I've worked on another version of DR(1) in bison 1.875 CVS as of beginning of september, though less complete than that of Carlos Javier Borges, since I did not write any skeleton. The code could be improved, it didn't go through any extensive testing and debugging phase, but it already showed dramatic improvements in performances in the generation of the tables. On this subject, for people familiar with LALR(1) computation in bison, the DR(1) method is a *lot* more costly for tables generations ---I had benchmarks in gprof showing negligeable time (0.01 second) for the computation of the LALR(1) tables of a C++ grammar with bison versus 0.59 second for the DR(1) tables--- so improvements on this matter are welcome. We need data structures allowing faster matching of equivalent DR(1) items.

The code can be downloaded with CVS from module "bison" in:
:pserver:address@hidden:/repository
the password being "anoncvs". I can provide you with a CVS write access on this repository if you want.

I have used doxygen to document my code, and here are some HTML and PS outputs:
http://charybde.i3s.unice.fr/~schmitz/bison-doc/files.html
http://charybde.i3s.unice.fr/~schmitz/bison-doc/refman.ps.gz

Finally, documentation will be generated in both spanish and english.
The lack of an english version was the main reason for me to try to recode it, as I don't understand a word of spanish.

We can meet in person until sunday in José Fortes Galvez' office if you want.

--
  Sylvain Schmitz