RE: Union Type Object problem

From: Urdaneta, Alfonso E (N-Summitt Technologies)
Subject: RE: Union Type Object problem
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:19:15 -0400

> Hardly. He has done some great things, but try to read the
> TeX book, and you will find it's wholly unstructured. His TeX program
was
> an achievement, but is full of weaknesses (check say the LaTeX3 list
for the
> past decade).

Not sure who else would qualify as "best programmer of all time" above
him.  I figured being that since he was a mathetician, you might know
more about him.   Have you read this ?

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Knuth.html

Its a little old, and does not include that the TAOCP was named by
American Scientist to be one of the 100 most influential books of the
century.  Its peers, in the "monographs" section were:

Paul Dirac, Quantum Mechanics (1930)
Albert Einstein, The Collected Papers of Albert Einstein: The Swiss
Years: Writings, 1902-09 (1930)
Benoit B. Mandelbrot, Fractals (1977)
Linus Pauling, Nature of the Chemical Bond (1939)
Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead,
Principia Mathematica (1910-13, 3 vols.)
Cyril Smith, Search For Structure (1981)
John von Neumann and Oskar Morgenstern, Theory of Games and Economic
Behavior (1944)
Norbert Weiner, Cybernetics (1948)
R. B. Woodward and Roald Hoffmann, Conservation of Orbital Symmetry
(1970)
Albert Einstein, The Meaning of Relativity (1922)
Richard Feynman, QED (1985)

> (But aren't we getting a bit off-topic?)

I guess so, but variety is the spice of life. :)

> Or in CS, you could try to read some of Moggi's papers, or
> something like that.
> :-)

willdo !

--