Re: Retrieving the string name of token

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Retrieving the string name of token
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:22:52 +0100

On 7 Mar 2006, at 16:55, Frans Englich wrote:

sometimes I really feel like writing rules like this:

Rule: (A | B) C D

Which would allow A C D or B C D. What is the reason to that such
constructs
are not possible?

Simply because nobody has implemented it. I think some grads at
Berkeley made a Bison version with such constructs.

Interesting. So who knows, it will be interesting to see if something pops up
at somepoint.

If somebody gets interested in implementing it. It should not be too difficult, at this point, as Bison itself has a .y grammar, making grammar extensions fairly easy, and the method used to implement this kind of extensions is merely by introducing some new hidden variables, in a similar way empty rules are implemented.