Re: Google summer of code

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Google summer of code
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 17:42:28 +0200

Le 9 mai 06 à 17:36, Derek M Jones a écrit :

Akim,

The main requirement is to resync so that cascading syntax errors
are avoided.  One compiler I worked on did multiple parses, using
different combinations of error recovery, looking for the one that
parsed the largest amount of input (up to some limit) without
generating any other syntax errors.
What was the underlying technology of the parsers?  I guess it was
LL, right?  Were they written by hand?

It was yacc running under Unix version 7 on a PDP-11 cross
compiled to a mainframe.  Our users only got a few goes at
compiling their code everyday (it was a mainframe batch
environment) and it was very important that the compiler
did its best to generate them some kind of executable so
at least they might be able to try out some parts of the code.

All the best error recovery I have every seen occurs in compilers
running on mainframes.  Not because the cost of renting the software
was an arm and a leg, but because the users got to have so
few goes at compiling in a day.

Yep, I knew most of the value is there.  In fact, that's also
very clear when one reads Corbett's PhD, on "semantical"
error recovery, which prompted him to write what today is
named Bison :)  (He was no aiming at main frames though.  I
don't think Pascal ever run on main frames.  But that's just
my guess.)

I'm just stunned that you had such an elaborate error recovery
system on top of stock yacc!