Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 17:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Derek M Jones wrote:

> In a production environment the first thing I would do is replace
> yyreportAmbiguity.  I would want the 'user' to see a more 'meaningful'
> message and also I would want to be able to recover (ie, pick one
> of the parses) and continue.

If you're waiting until you reach the time of yyreportAmbiguity, I think
the existing %dprec and %merge should be able to handle all that.

> > Today, the name "conflict action" appeals to me.  In other words, it's a
> > user action to run upon encountering any conflict.  Now, what exactly do you
> > envision the action doing?  Specifically, what inputs and outputs do you
> > need?  How should a conflict action be declared?
>
> Conflict?  We are a peace loving group of people.  Why not ambiguity
> resolution, or ambiguity hint, ambiguity suggestion/recommendation?

To understand the difference between a "conflict" and an "ambiguity", read
the Bison documentation sections "Using GLR on Unambiguous Grammars" and
"Using GLR to Resolve Ambiguities".

I'm not sure resolution, hint, suggestion, or recommendation are
appropriate.  What if you don't want to actually resolve the conflict?
Maybe you just want to record it in a log.

Joel