Re: Token redefinition

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Token redefinition
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:52:51 +0100

On 17 Nov 2006, at 10:05, Tim Van Holder wrote:

I need to write a simple compiler for a pascal-like linguage, using
flex and bison.
The language uses token as "INT" "BOOL" or "FALSE"; when I compile the
project using
Visual Studio 6.0 the following message is displayed:

"'BOOL' : redefinition; typedef cannot be overloaded with any other
symbol"

This is because in windef.h they are other defines of tokens "INT"
"BOOL" or "FALSE".
How can I resolve the question WITHOUT change the names of the tokens ??

You can switch to a different platform.

Or, as a more constructive suggestion, you could use a prefix for the
token names in the grammar (T_BOOL, tBool, tokBOOL, etc. are all viable alternatives). And you can always give them string names you use in the
grammar:

grammar:   %token t_BOOL "BOOL"
lexer:     "BOOL" { return t_BOOL; }
grammar:   some_rule: some_other_rule "BOOL";

which ensures that bison syntax errors say they expect a BOOL rather
than a t_BOOL (only the lexer has to use the t_* names). This is
especially nice when the name for the token consists of multiple words:

%token t_DECIMAL_LITERAL "decimal literal"

You probably did not read the OP, who wants the macro names unchanged! The question seems to be how to avoid name clashes without changing their names. :-)