Re: Platforms supported by Bison

From: 'Bob Rossi'
Subject: Re: Platforms supported by Bison
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:03:07 -0500

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:32:07PM -0800, YiQing Yang wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the Bison and read through the "INSTALL"
> doc, but it does not mention at all how to configure (or compile) Bison on
> Windows platform. Sorry I didn't get what you mean "For windows look at
> mingw port, you can download a binary." from your previous email. I would
> appreciate if you can give me more hints.
> We are now using MKS tool to run "Yacc" on Windows, I wonder if we still
> need it in order to build and run Bison on Windows.
>
> Anyone else has any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help,

Hi YiQing,

I hope you understood what others have said. That is, you can use Bison
on Linux, and you can generate the parser that you need. That parser
should work on any platform since it doesn't really depend on much of
the C library.

Now, if you want to compile bison for windows, you can use the mingw
port of gcc. Others have built bison using this port. Here is some
information on this subject.

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/bison?PHPSESSID=e7de1a0bfb50812a5b49513a95344d14

I'm not exactly sure how they have built bison on mingw as I haven't
done it myself.

Bob Rossi