Re: Creating a debugger for a bison designed language

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Creating a debugger for a bison designed language
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:18:19 +0100

On 11 Jan 2007, at 19:44, Jachyra wrote:

If I use bison to essentially parse my
language and generate C code (which gets compiled to a windows binary), and then create a debugger that attaches to the DLL that was compiled in debug
mode (for the sake of argument, lets say I'm just using dbg), will the
debugging information I get from the debugger refer to the lines and symbols in the code that was written in my custom language, or will it be reffering
to lines and symbols that are in the bison generated "C" code?

Currently, you only get to debug the parser C-code, and will have to use to special techniques to debug the parser itself. But Satya is working on a debugger format for the parser itself, so that one can follow the position in the .y file. But this may not what you are asking for - your project probably asks fro a debugger for the compiler of the language you are implementing. If you do not get moe info in this mailing list, you might try the Usenet newsgroup comp.compilers, and its FAQ, posted there monthly.