Re: Google summer of code '07

From: Satya
Subject: Re: Google summer of code '07
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 09:29:40 -0500

One can even imagine the possibility to re-run a parsing step by step,
displaying the automaton textually or graphically, the current stack,
the actions etc.

ha! This was something I was trying to do last summer, but in a very
different way.

I added code to Bison itself to include a parsing routine using the
internal data strucutres. When this modified bison is run with -i
(interactive) switch, you can load a lexer and start parsing a test
input file step by (step gdb style). You can view the stack, rules etc
between steps.  check out http:/cs.uic.edu/~spopuri/ibison.html for
more on this.

Ofcourse, I understand what you meant here was to instrument the
*generated* parser with such tracing ability. Is that correct ?

I cannot edit my proposal now, so pls consider this as a part of it.

satya.

On 4/1/07, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

Le 1 avr. 07 à 02:17, Satya a écrit :

> Thanks Akim. I thought so too.

BTW, this is a part of the proposal that arrived too late to
be on the page, but I meant to make it public too.

Time permitting, the run-time traces should also be converted into
XML, and transformations should be made to make the navigation from
the run-time traces to the static description of the automaton easier.

--
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."