Re: push parser

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: push parser
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:07:34 -0400

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 09:25:52PM -0400, Joel E. Denny wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

> I believe that the most important task is to document it in the manual.
> I was planning to do that eventually, but I haven't found time yet to
> think through how that needs to go.  If you want to get that going, I'd be
> happy to review patches and perhaps write some passages.

I'd be happy to think about this a little. I'm thinking it would be
possible to look at where the pure parser is documented, and have
corresponding push parser documentation. What do you think?

Section 3.7.10 describes the pure parser. I think it would be
appropriate to describe the push parser in section 3.7.11.

In section 4.2.4 the manual describes the "Calling Conventions for
Pure Parsers". Off the top of my head, I don't think the push parser
effects this particular mode so I don't think we would need to change
this section. Do you?

In the section "Appendix A Bison Symbols", some variables are described.
It states when certain variables will be global, so that the user could
potentially get access to them. In a few of these, it describes the
difference when the push parser option is used. I can't really remember
how you eventually got the push parser working. What are the valid
combinations of options with pure/push/normal parsing? Should we
describe them all in a manual?

One other question, is it important to have an example in the manual
showing how the push parser works?

> Once that's done, it should be easier to get people to test it.  Some
> real-world test cases would be nice.  I figured your CGDB work would lead
> to that.  Also, before we mv push.c yacc.c, I would really like to see
> either Paul or Akim review the output of diff yacc.c push.c.

Sure, we should deal with this, after it's in the manual I suppose. I
don't mind taking things one step at a time.

> > > I see everyone else is busy too. :)
> > >
> > > Ping.
> >
> > Ping. Is there any chance someone is going to get around to answering this?
>
> Sorry for the delay, and it'll be about another week before I'll be
> reading and responding to email regularly again.

Actually, thanks for taking the time to read it!

Bob Rossi