Using bison (or bisonc++) to create parser for command completion

From: José Alburquerque
Subject: Using bison (or bisonc++) to create parser for command completion
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:40:35 -0500

Hi. I'm not subscribed to this list, but I'm hoping someone here can still help me. I'm attempting to develop a small front-end to dvdauthor in C++ to logically create DVD's to be played in standard DVD players. I would like to include "command completion" functionality in an area of the GUI for accepting low level commands to the DVD player based on a very simple language, already specified for this purpose by the dvdauthor developers (if I'm not mistaken)[1]. All I'm really asking for, if possible, is clarification on whether bison can be used to create a parser for the simple language and then somehow use the parser to tell what might come after certain keywords. If so, is it straight forward? Finally, I've looked a bit at bisonc++ and am wondering if it can be used instead of bison for the same purposes (I'd rather have C++ classes, if possible). Please, any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

[1] See the "Language Description" section at the bottom of the dvdauthor manpage: http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/doc/dvdauthor.html

--
José Alburquerque
address@hidden