Re: --output and %output options

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: --output and %output options
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:39:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, tys lefering wrote:

> Would it not be better if the commandline options --output and
> --defines override the settings from %output and %defines in the
> grammar ?

Yes.  We've had many discussions about fixing that, but we've never done
so.  One problem is backward compatibility.  Another problem is finding
the time when there are so many other things to do.

> Also what is the official syntax for the %output statement ?
> bison-2.3 wants '%output = "filename"' and bison-2.4.1
> accepts '%output "filename"' or '%output = "filename"' .

In Bison 2.3b, we deprecated the = for consistency.  See NEWS.  For now,
Bison continues to accept it for backward compatibility.