Re: Creating intelligent search 'n replace for C/C++ source?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Creating intelligent search 'n replace for C/C++ source?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:58:44 +0200

Le 31 mars 2010 à 00:48, Jacob Ole Juul Kolding a écrit :

> Hello List
>
> I'm a total newb regarding all things bison/yacc but I think it's the tool
> for my current problem at hand.
> I have a rather large code base written in C/C++ where I need to replace some
> fundamental classes
> and all references to function call from other classes/functions.
>
> All I need is a program that can parse the source and replace all instances of
> classes and functions including arguments based on a simple 2,3 column text
> file.
>
> Can anyone point me to relevant examples or share ideas on the subject?

I'm afraid there is no good solution for this.  I mean, afaik, there is no IDE
which is able to perform "intelligent" substitutions in C++, as it would
require being able to perform full analysis of the code, detect collisions,
etc.  It exists for simpler languages (from the syntactic point of view) such
as Java, but for C++, you might have to simply perform substitution with, say
perl, something like

        perl -pi.bak -e 's{\bMyFormerClassName\b}{MyNewClassName}g' *.{cc,hh}

I heard about a powerful environment for C++ under Emacs, but I forgot its name.

[looking for it...]

It might be http://cedet.sourceforge.net/semantic.shtml.

That page reports that "David Ponce has ported Bison to Emacs Lisp".  I don't
know what that means, but I'm curious :)