How to read an understand the bison report file ?

From: Timothy Madden
Subject: How to read an understand the bison report file ?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:23:25 +0300

Hello

I wrote a grammar file for an approximation of the php language (with the purpose of adding braces to single-statements under if, for, while, but that is not included yet), that simply outputs the found tokens back to an output stream.

My problem is I got like 233 shift/reduce conflicts (and 18 reduce/reduce conflicts) and I do not really understand them. But searching the internet shows most people have like 3 or 4 of them ... what did I do ?

Is there a way for me to understand that report file bison outputs ? I looked a lot through it, but I can not get where the conflicts are comming from. It does says something about the first rules, describing whitespace, which I want to preserve as significant part of the grammar.

I have CenOS 6.2 64-bit (up-to-date), GNU bison 2.4.1 64-bit.
The grammar and report files are attached.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden