Re: How to read an understand the bison report file ?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: How to read an understand the bison report file ?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:55:40 +0200

Le 28 juin 2012 à 14:51, Timothy Madden a écrit :

>> I have it working, but it's based on horrible hacks.  And
>> I really mean horrible.  If PHP in itself does not need it,
>> I would avoid it.
>>

> That is what I was afraid of.

So why don't you give a try to what I proposed?

> I see the real php parser (from php source code) does not have a %glr
> directive, but it does have %expect 3, and I know php has the dangling
> elseif/else problem. Can a language with this issue be written in a LALR(1)
> grammar ?

Yes, it can, which is obviously the case of php.  I
suspect your question is rather "can this conflict be
explicitly solved instead of relying on the shift
precedence in s/r conflicts".  Yes again, give a higher
precedence to the else token than the if-then rule.
Or declare "%right if else".