Re: logwatch scripts for cfengine

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: logwatch scripts for cfengine
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:00:41 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 3 May 2005, nathan r. hruby wrote:

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Tim Nelson wrote:

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

Dear Cfengineers,

Did anyone create logwatch scripts for cfengine? I would bet they can be
useful - I'm using logwatch to keep an eye on a few hosts.

What do you mean here? Do you mean a logwatch module that interprets messages that cfengine puts in syslog?

I use Logwatch, but as soon as I have the resources, I'll get it rewritten to deal with multiple hosts logging to a central server to cut down on the number of e-mails we receive. Kirk (Logwatch lead) has agreed to this in principle, but this was a few years back.

You may want to peek at Epylog.  It's designed for central loghost
operation and a bit nicer (IMHO), internally, than logwatch (at least, the
last time I looked..)

Actually, I'm probably going to investigate OSSIM. OSSIM is a huge monitoring framework that incorporates a bunch of stuff (Snort, and others). I'm not going to get time to look at it for the next few months, but hopefully by that point our company will be big enough that we can hire someone to do that.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator