help-flex

Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:54:37 +0200

I had a brief look at this package:

As for the flex.texi documentation:
 - It does not seem to have a table of contents anymore.
 - Compiling with latest texinfo.tex from ATAN, I got a lot of overflows.
 - It think the cover page should be made better looking.
 - As for it's FAQ one matching "(" ... ")", it can mention that even
though it is not possible to do that directly by regular expressions alone,
it is possible to do semantically that by introducing a variable checking
parenthesis depth. One useful application is implementing nested comments,
which I think is best put onto the lexer, not the parser.

As for the distribution, I think it would be useful if the C sources were
put in a subdirectory "src", and the documentation in a directory "doc",
etc. This is better if one for some reason should look into those sources.

  Hans Aberg