help-flex

Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released
Date: 18 Oct 2002 15:42:32 +0200

Hi there!

Sorry for the delays :)

| On Friday, 11 October 2002,15:14 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
| >
| > | -builddir = @builddir@
| > |
| > | If I don't define this, $(builddir) shows up empty, despite what the
| > | automake/autoconf manual says. Is that a bug in one of those two packages?
| >
| > Sorry, I answered way too fast on this :)  Defining builddir makes no
| > sense, since its value is `.' by definition.  But maybe you're
| > referring to something else than what people name builddir.  Where/how
| > do you intend to use it?
|
| I mean it to be the place where building is happening. Since I use
| names for all the other directories (srcdir, top_srcdir,
| top_builddir), I'd like to be able to refer to builddir as well.

Well, I perfectly understand your point, but mine was that anyway you
don't need to do it this way:  AC_SUBST([builddir], [.]) is enough for
all the Makefiles.

OTOH, I'd like to emphasize that it is uncommon, and therefore, might
surprise peers if some other people want to help the Flex effort.

| The autoconf documentation states that builddir is equal to . so
| when I use $(builddir), I'd like it to expand to .''. So I include
| the builddir line to make that happen. I expected automake to handle
| that, though, so it looks like an automake bug to me.

Well, I don't share this opinion, but...  After all, there is no
rootdir = / either :)

| On Friday, 11 October 2002,15:22 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
|
| [regarding the state of the flex 2.5.22 manual]
| > Please, just *try*.  Or, just run a diff!
|
| I won't guess at what you don't like. I'll happily look at what I can
| and fix what makes sense to fix. But I need details, a description,
| something.

I'd say that recovering the cover, the menus etc. is the first thing
to do.  But, I recall my friends who worked on making the original
Texinfo documentation, and I think one should start again from _that_
documentation, backporting what had been done in the meanwhile.
Because they have worked on the @commands to use, on the index etc.

There was a real edition work performed on this file.  It's a pity to
have lost it all.

| > Or, lemme show you also what it gives in html:
| >
| > http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~akim/compil/doc/flex-2.5.4a.html
| >
| > and
| >
| > http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~akim/compil/doc/flex-2.5.22.html
|
| I'll have a look at these later today.

I'm afraid my ISP is not very reliable :(

| > As you can see the PDF is superior, and info/html are superior too
| > since someone had taken care of filling the menus.  Somewhere it was
| > lost.
|
| Is it only the menus that you think need fixing?

That's one of the most stricking difference in HTML.

| On Friday, 11 October 2002,15:42 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
|
| > W> tests/TEMPLATE/ contains files for making tests for the test
| > W> suite. It does not contain a test which should be run. So I'd like
| > W> to have automake avoid doing anything in there except for dist and
| > W> distdir, etc. Am I doing this the right way?
| >
| > Ah!  OK, I missed the fact that it was not in SUBDIRS.  Now I see :)
| >
| > Well, you should always go for the easiest: if I were you, I'd simply
| > put it into SUBDIRS, and filter it from the check-local target.
|
| Um, how?

There must be some misunderstanding here: you write the rule yourself,
so you can add

        case $dir in
           skipme) ;;
           *)