Re: [Help-glpk] Re: How to avoid output when reading in an mps problem.

From: Enea Zaffanella
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Re: How to avoid output when reading in an mps problem.
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:02:56 +0400

Andrew Makhorin wrote:
>> In our software project (the Parma Polyhedra Library,
>> http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl) we use glpk in a demo application, mainly
>> for debugging purposes: we have developed an exact arithmetic mip solver
>> and we want to check if the results we are obtaining agree with those
>> obtained using glpk.
>
> That is very interesting. Probably it may be interesting to you that
> glpk has an exact lp solver (lpx_exact) based on rational arithmetic,
> which is also available in glpsol (options --xcheck and --exact).
> However, this is an exotic feature (I mean glpk), because instances
> of real size cannot be solved/checked in a resonable time.

I plainly admit that I wasn't aware of the availability of an exact lp
solver in glpk: I will certainly have a look at it.

As for usability of such a solver ... it mainly depends on the context.
We are not addressing "real size" problem, if by that you mean the
typical size of an LP/MIP problem specified for optimization purposes.
In our context, which is static analysis and verification of
hardware/software systems, we need to obtain exact results for what you
may consider to be (many) "small" problems. Actually, we could even
accept approximated results, provided that all the approximations are
done on the safe side only ... which in the end means that exact
arithmetic is needed anyway. Also, we sometimes need to solve many small
variations of the same problem, so that a support for the incremental
addition (or removal) of constraints is something we value positively.

Thanks again,
Enea Zaffanella.