Re: [Help-glpk] Irrational numbers

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Irrational numbers
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:07:59 +0400

> I would rather say not machine / internally representable.

> For example 0.1 is neither irrational nor repeating decimal, and still
> cannot be represented internally, the hexadecimal image of the
> floating point numbers enclosing 0.1 (interval enclosing 0.1) is:

> 0:3fb:9999999999999
> 0:3fb:999999999999a

I would like to note that 0.1 is a rational number and therefore its
decimal representation is periodic: 0.10000...000... = 0.09999...999...,
i.e. it is a repeating decimal. However, it cannot be represented
as a finite fraction in a positional numeral system, whose base does
not have prime factors 2 and 5 (since 10 = 2*5).