Re: [Help-glpk] glpk lab for windows released

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk lab for windows released
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:02:39 +0400

Hi Pietro,

> Thank you Andrew, Luiz & Xypron for all your work,

Thank you for interest in glpk lab.

>  but I'm not sure
> what *exactly* this new tool's usefulness. Is it just a merge of
> win32-compiled source code + gusek + java binding coming in a handy
> one-file installation package?

In principle, yes. Glpk lab allows (we hope) windows users, especially
beginners and undergraduate students, to avoid many technical problems
on compiling and installing the glpk package and other related software
like glpk-java. In the future we plan to include in glpk lab other
windows software related to glpk.

>  (and would this mean the development of
> gusek will be discontinued from now on?)

Gusek is a separate package. I think that Luiz could answer this
question.

> Or does it allow to me to edit the glpk source code in an environment
> other than visual studio?

We decided not to develop the glpk lab editor as a general-purpose
ide, i.e. it is intended mainly for editing and running models written
in mathprog. However, you can use it in any way you want, because it
is a slightly modified version of scite, a general-purpose text editor.

Andrew Makhorin