[Help-glpk] glpsol.exe differs from AMPL

From: Michael Bramley
Subject: [Help-glpk] glpsol.exe differs from AMPL
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:10:47 -0400

Hello:

I am running glpk MIP and in AMPL and finding that the order of the solutions differ.  For example, say I have a model where I need to maximize an objective based upon paired values X, Y, and Z (and each pairing has a score).  I am not using any additional options for the solutions, eg specifying branch&cut, etc.

AMPL will tell me that the solution is X, Y, Z

glpk will tell me the solution is Z, X, Y.

I note that the sum of the scores for each solution is equivalent (as it should be as addition is commutative).

The problem I am trying to reconcile is is there a physical difference between ordering objects X, then Y, then Z with the order of Z, then X, then Y?

Not sure if this is clear to everyone, but the main point is I see differences.

Michael Bramley
tel: +1 513 632 0549
www.dunnhumby.com

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message in error you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.
dunnhumby may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not those of dunnhumby.