Re: [Help-glpk] Interior point failure

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Interior point failure
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:18:08 -0600

In general, it is rare that solving the dual of a problem takes less time, so I would not recommend an approach that tests if the dual is more numerically stable.  The L1 regression problem is a rare exception in which directly solving the dual makes sense.

The chief issue with the original formulation of the L1 regression is that there are 2 dense columns in the "A" matrix.  The computational burden of the interior point methods is the Cholesky factorization of a matrix that looks like (in terms of density) AA(t) = A times the transpose of A.  This factorization occurs once per iteration.  Even a single dense column in A creates a completely dense AA(t), and that is a lot of computations and could lead to numerical difficulties.  For 1000 points in the L1 regression, taking the Cholesky factorization of a dense 1000 x 1000 matrix is a huge computation (something like 2 billion floating point operations).

The dual formulation of this particular problem results in AA(t) being a small 2 x 2 matrix so there is a reduction in computations by several orders of magnitude.

The real issue is how to handle dense columns.  Some interior point implementations separate out dense columns by splitting the column, and this seems to generally work well.  Experiments with using the Sherman-Morrison formula (Wikipedia calls it the Woodbury matrix identity) that algebraically can separate out dense columns generally don't work very well numerically in practice, although in your case it would have worked magic and would have been better than the column splitting.

Note that the GLPK documentation does point out the issue of dense columns and numerical instability.  It says:

“The routine glp_interior implements an easy version of the primal-dual interior-point method based on Mehrotra's technique.

Note that currently the GLPK interior-point solver does not include many important features, in particular:

- it is not able to process dense columns. Thus, if the constraint matrix of the LP problem has dense columns, the solving process may be inefficient;

- it has no features against numerical instability. For some LP problems premature termination may happen if the matrix ADAT becomes singular or ill-conditioned;

- it is not able to identify the optimal basis, which corresponds to the interior-point solution found.”