[Help-glpk] Unix batch execution

From: Reginald Beardsley
Subject: [Help-glpk] Unix batch execution
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:41:02 -0800 (PST)

I've cobbled together an example on the wiki of running jobs using a very
minimalist queueing arrangement.

It still needs some work, e.g. put back the attribution that belongs in
tst.mod, but it's complete.  It will create a set of data files and then run 4
instances of glpsol in parallel. The queue part is just the last  script, tst4.
 All the rest is generating test data.

All my real work is done on a system which is not internet connected, so I
sneaker net stuff.  I ran into a glitch with a flash drive that deleted my
scripts forcing me to recreate them.  This was on top of a problem that cost me
all of my first attempt when I was not able to save it to the wiki.

The creation of the test data is a bit odd because Matteo's post prompted me to
experiment with the effect of random input orderings.

I have done very large jobs with scripts like this that took all weekend on a
cluster and on occasion come in on a Monday morning to discover the job died
because I completely filled a 2 TB filesystem with the output.  Poor planning
on my part, but it should make clear that you can do a lot of work like this.

Running thousands of permutations of a problem just requires electricity and
patience.  I find that patience is best supplied by going home.

If anyone has questions please let me know and I'll try to address them in the
wiki. Also many thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far with glpk,
and Marc especially.

Have Fun!
Reg