RE: gnats/133

From: Dirk Bergstrom
Subject: RE: gnats/133
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:31:15 -0700

we had the same problem with 4.0a (which we've been using at juniper for the
last year or so).  there was a pernicious little bug that caused a segfault
during PR creation (unfortunately, i can't remember the exact
circumstances), and its side effect was to leave behind stale DB locks.

once i tracked it down, i had bob manson (then working at juniper) fix the
bug, and the problem went away.

here's bob's message about the fix:
-------------
2001-08-23
I believe I just checked in a fix, but at usual I haven't tested it
other than to verify that everything still builds.

There were two separate problems--one was that it wasn't regarding a
non-existent field as OK if the field didn't have a default value, and
the other was that it was trying to copy in the default value into an
invalid field even if the field didn't have a default value.

So this brings up a subtle point.  PRs can now have missing enum
fields, but only if the enum field in question doesn't have an
explicit default value.  (Otherwise, the field is added to the PR with
the default value.)  Further, it would be OK to remove an enum field
from a PR, but only if the field wasn't given a default value.

I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do (and it's a subtle point)
but that's how it works right now.
                                                Bob
--
Dirk Bergstrom               address@hidden
Juniper Networks Inc.,   Engineering Web Guru