Re: modular database backends

From: Peter Novodvorsky
Subject: Re: modular database backends
Date: 29 May 2001 23:28:09 +0400

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

>     PN>         Second thing I don't like in GNATS, it doesn't has
>     PN> ACLs. This modular framework should support them.  Here is the
>     PN> header file that will briefly describe what I mean:
>
> I'm afraid I couldn't understand what kind of ACLs you would like to
> have.  Could you elaborate?

1). i don't like that client can pass without authentication phase.
If he want to login as anonymous,  he  has to do it. IE,

USER anonymous address@hidden

2). I don't like that check of user/password is made by gnatsd and not
by "database driver". I mean that function that authentificates user
isn't called by init_gnats that actually connects to database, but after
it.  Access control is done by gnatsd, and not by database driver.

3). There is no access control for query-pr, send-pr and edit-pr. This
is close to the subject of 2)., because  authentification is made on
the side of client, not on the side of database.

Advanced topics.

4). I want that some bugs  can be edited only by group of developers.
It can't be done in current version.

Is it enough? ;-)

> However, no new features will get into GNATS 4.0.  I think the backend
> architecture and the MIME handling could be the main feature candidates
> for the first non-bug-fix release after 4.0.  Of course, we can start
> discussing the API and architecture now and you can also work on a
> preliminary implementation in the meantime, just don't expect it to have
> it in 4.0.

May be you could make a CVS branch for 4.99?

> BTW, please note I'll be soon out of Internet for about a week or two.

Heh, that's bad because I wanted to begin making implementation very
actively. Do you have thoughts on the subject?  I'm writing
``specification'' of some kind. Maybe it   will give the subject for
discussion.

Regards,

--
Peter Novodvorsky     http://www.altlinux.ru/    AltLinux Team, Russia