Re: Internet protocol question

From: Rick Macdonald
Subject: Re: Internet protocol question
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:41:58 -0600 (MDT)

I don't know about any official protocol, but I would say the lock
messages should only be seen when the client does specific lock and unlock
commands:

LKDB
210 GNATS database is now locked.
UNDB
210 GNATS database is now unlocked.
<submit PR>
211 Ok.
<the report text>
.
210 PR added.

IMHO, when submitting a new PR the lock/unlock activity is something
internal to the submit function and in this case the extra messages should
not appear. Locking is encapsulated in the submit function and the client
has no business or interest in knowing about it or dealing with it. It's
an implementation detail of the submit function.

Put another way, it may be that a user has authority to call the submit
function from a client but does not have the authority to call LKDB/UNDB
directly. Again, why send lock/unlk messages?

Of course, gnatsd is responsible for ensuring that the lock is released
whether the submit succeeds or fails.