RE: gnatsd output question

From: Marcus Williams
Subject: RE: gnatsd output question
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:54:17 +0100

[snip]
>   211 Ok.
>   <the report text>
>   .
>   210 GNATS database is now locked.
>   210 PR added.
>   210 GNATS database is now unlocked.
>
> or, in the case of failure, like this:
>
>   subm
>   211 Ok.
>   .
>   210 GNATS database is now locked.
>   402 Failure reading header
>   210 GNATS database is now unlocked.
>
> As you can see above, after submitting the report text
> gnatsd outputs
> *three* status report lines as single messages, the overall result
> message is wrapped by the locking status messages.  Is this behavior
> and/or format right?  If not, how should the output look?
[snip]

I'd tend to agree with Rick Macdonald that the lock messages are
internal to Gnats so dont need to be displayed (unless they fail).

It may be worth doing something like the FTP specs (RFC 0959?) say and
wrap the three messages inside a multiline result so it becomes (from
what I remember of the RFC):

subm
211 Ok.
.
210- GNATS database is now locked
402- Failure reading header
210- GNATS database is now unlocked

The trailing dash after the result code indicates a multiline
continuation. However, this is wrong as well as we're only interested
in the 402 in the middle so it probably should be

subm
211 Ok.
.
402- GNATS database is now locked
402- Failure reading header
402- GNATS database is now unlocked

Since you can only tell that theres a header error by reading the full
message, maybe more error codes should be added so then we can
exchange 402 for whatever the code is for "Failure reading header".
The multiline reply is then only for interactive/information purposes.

Marcus

--
Marcus Williams - http://www.onq2.com
Quintic Ltd, 39 Newnham Rd, Cambridge, CB3 9EY