Re: Am I using the wrong docs/package?

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: Am I using the wrong docs/package?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:24:15 -0700

On 04/06/2003 06:51 AM, Chris Jensen wrote:
Hi,
I'm having a fair bit of trouble installing gnats on a gentoo system. Theproblems seem to be so fundamental that I think I must have the wrong package or install docs. I've tried http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnats/gnats-3.999.1.tar.gz
and
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnats/gnats-3.999.2.tar.gz

Using the install docs at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/doc/4_0_beta_snapshot/index.html

However I've been having multiple problems following the install steps:
1. ./configure
Configure seems to ignore some of the options suggested by the Install Guide

You'll find another configure script in the 'gnats' subdirectory....if you
run 'configure --help' on this one, I expect you'll have better luck
locating the options mentioned in the docs.

The Gnats configure setup is in need of some attention - generally,
there are configure scripts in most of the top level sub-directories
which can be unexpected. In any case, you can specify the configure
options presented by the gnats/configure script to the top-level
configure and it should all work.

2. make install-info
Make reports that the makefile has not install-info target.

I can't see an install-info target either. Not sure what gives here.

3. mkdb
Gives problems about
/usr/local/com/gnatsdb not existing
So I create that, and make it writeable by the gnats user
Then it complians that it cant read
/usr/local/etc/gnats/databases
So I create it, then it complains that it can't get any defaults from
/usr/local/share/gnats/
and it turns out that that's because that directory is empty

So what am I doing wrong. I figure I must be going insane because no one else (on the list) seems to be having these problems.

It seems to me that you haven't successfully run 'make install'.
If everything built, try changing to the 'gnats' subdirectory,
and running a make install from there. This should create the
stuff in /usr/local which you created manually.

I suspect that the error you're getting about not getting defaults from
'/usr/local/share/gnats' is incorrect...the error should probably be that
it can't get the defaults from '/usr/local/etc/gnats' which is where
the 4.0beta binaries look for the gnats 'databases' file (prior to 4.0beta,
the 'databases' file lived in /usr/local/share/gnats).

Note that the databases file contains the path to the gnats data
directory - this is what mkdb requires in order to do it's work.

I'd really appreciate any help

Hope this helps.

--
Mel Hatzis