Am I using the wrong docs/package?

From: Chris Jensen
Subject: Am I using the wrong docs/package?
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:51:03 +1000

Hi,
I'm having  a fair bit of trouble installing gnats on a gentoo system.
Theproblems seem to be so fundamental that I think I must have the wrong
package or install docs.
I've tried
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnats/gnats-3.999.1.tar.gz
and
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnats/gnats-3.999.2.tar.gz

Using the install docs at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/doc/4_0_beta_snapshot/index.html

However I've been having multiple problems following the install steps:
1. ./configure
Configure seems to ignore some of the options suggested by the Install Guide
2. make install-info
Make reports that the makefile has not install-info target.
3. mkdb
Gives problems about
/usr/local/com/gnatsdb not existing
So I create that, and make it writeable by the gnats user
Then it complians that it cant read
/usr/local/etc/gnats/databases
So I create it, then it complains that it can't get any defaults from
/usr/local/share/gnats/
and it turns out that that's because that directory is empty

So what am I doing wrong. I figure I must be going insane because no one else
(on the list) seems to be having these problems.

I'd really appreciate any help

--
Chris Jensen
address@hidden

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity?  Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)