Re: Trouble using encrypted passwords

From: David S Gathright
Subject: Re: Trouble using encrypted passwords
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:51:51 -0700

No, I didn't try that, mostly because I don't have root access on that
machine.

What I guess is most confusing to me is that there are three pieces of
information:  the raw password, the salt, and the encrypted password.
Now, in the MD5 scheme, the salt is stored with the encrypted password
($1$salt$enc_password).  However, in the crypt() scheme, there is no
specified way to store the key, so, how is that done?

Thanks for the try, though.  I can resort to that if needed, but I'd
rather not if there is a simpler way.

DSG

--
David S Gathright <address@hidden>