Re: Trouble using encrypted passwords

From: Pankaj K Garg
Subject: Re: Trouble using encrypted passwords
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:05:37 -0800

David S Gathright wrote:
No, I didn't try that, mostly because I don't have root access on that
machine.
What I guess is most confusing to me is that there are three pieces of
information: the raw password, the salt, and the encrypted password. Now, in the MD5 scheme, the salt is stored with the encrypted password
($1$salt$enc_password).  However, in the crypt() scheme, there is no
specified way to store the key, so, how is that done?

Its been a while since I did this, but looking at the code, it seems that the salt is '$1$', '$2$', etc. Can you try these with the Python/Perl code and see what happens? The source code in gnatsd.c is using the C library function 'crypt' with these salts.

--
Pankaj K Garg                         address@hidden
1684 Nightingale Avenue               408-373-4027

                http://www.zeesource.net